How to Apply for National Identity Number (NIN) | National Identity Number (NIN), Here are the various steps you will pass through before you can successfully enroll the NIN…See more details below.
What is National Identity Number (NIN)
The National Identification Number (NIN) consists of 11 non- intelligible numbers randomly chosen and assigned to an individual after the completion of enrolment into the National Identity Database (NIDB). www.nimc.gov.ng
Once a NIN is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned, given or used by another person – that makes it unique in nature.
In the case of the demise of an individual, his/her NIN is retired once a death certificate is presented to the Commission and the individual’s death is established.
SEE ALSO: NIN Enrolment Centres
The NIN is used to tie all records about an individual in the database and is also used to establish or verify his/her identity.
All citizens and legal residents in Nigeria, from age zero (birth) and above are eligible to enrol for their NINs.
How do I enrol for National Identity Number (NIN)?
NIN Enrolment consists of the recording of an individual’s demographic data and capture of the ten (10) fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture and digital signature, which are all used to cross-check existing data in the National Identity Database to confirm that there is no previous entry of the same data.
It is very important that you apply on the NIMC Pre Enrolment Portal and follow the process as defined for applying for National Identification Number.
How to Apply for National Identity Number
Please note that applicants in requirement of assistance with the Enrolment Form have an option to visit the Enrolment Centre where they will be assisted by a Support Officer in correctly filling the Enrolment Form with the required information.
Walk into the nearest NIMC Enrolment Centre with your BVN if you have one and any of the following required Original and Valid supporting documents:
- Old National ID Card
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of Origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID Card (private/public)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Valid immigration documents
Fill up the pre-enrolment form online, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip
- Fill the NIMC Pre Enrolment online form by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal
- All the mandatory fields need to be completely filled with correct information.
- Download and print your Pre Enrolment Slip
Submit Your Application
- Walk into the nearest NIMC Registration Centre with any one of the following Original and Valid supporting documents.
- At Enrolment Center you will be directed to a counter where our Enrolment Officer will verify the presence and compliance of all details of your application.
- If your application is in order, Enrolment officer will guide you to proceed with the capture of biometrics (ten finger prints and facial image) and you will collect the Transaction ID Slip as an evidence of the transaction.
- Applicants who cannot read nor write should be accompanied by a literate individual who can do the form filling for him/her.
- Minor applicants should be accompanied by parents / guardians can do the form filling for them.
- Minor applicants should only bring original and valid birth certificate and NIN slip of one of the Nigerian Parent / Guardian.
- The normal time frame for issuance of National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is 2 to 3 working days from the time the biometric details are captured at enrolment centers.
- The issuance of NIN may take longer in certain cases due to validation of details at NIMC. VFS has no role to play to expedite for such cases.
- The Transaction ID Slip is required to be stored carefully by applicant as it is required to be presented at the time of collection of NIN Slip indicating completion of enrolment
If you have any question concerning National Identity Number (NIN), please feel free to use the comment box below and ask us your question. We will be very pleased to answer you.
You can share this information, to your family and friends, as it will be helpful to someone. Please share it on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. Use the buttons below to do this.