How to Apply for National Identity Number (NIN) | NIN Application Portal 2022.
How to Apply for NIN: How to Apply for National Identity Number (NIN) | NIN Application Portal, Everything you need to know about National Identity Number (NIN) and method of application.
How to Apply for NIN
What is a NIN?
The National Identification Number (NIN) consists of 11 non- intelligible numbers randomly chosen and assigned to an individual after the completion of enrolment into the National Identity Database (NIDB).
Once a NIN is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned, given or used by another person – that makes it unique in nature.
In the case of the demise of an individual, his/her NIN is retired once a death certificate is presented to the Commission and the individual’s death is established.
The NIN is used to tie all records about an individual in the database and is also used to establish or verify his/her identity.
All citizens and legal residents in Nigeria, from age zero (birth) and above are eligible to enrol for their NINs.
Why You Need Your NIN?
You have a phone number so people can contact you. Get your National Identification Number so people can IDENTIFY you.
The National Identification Number (NIN) is the unique number which identifies you for life and is issued to you by NIMC after your enrolment.
It is used to match you with your biometric data and other details in the National Identity Database during verification and authentication.
The NIN is set to be used for all transactions in Nigeria requiring identity verification so you’ll be using your NIN for
- obtaining your National e-ID card
- travel (international passport application & acquisition)
- opening personal bank accounts
- getting your driver’s license
- obtaining your Permanent Voters’ Card
- participating in the National Health Insurance Scheme
- payment of your taxes
- transactions related to your contributory pension scheme
- access to welfare and other relevant services from the Nigerian Government
- transactions with social security implications
- land transactions subject to the Land Use Act
- any other transactions NIMC may so prescribe and list in the Federal Government Gazette
NIMC is engaged in harmonization and integration of data with various agencies across Nigeria who deal with the various services above to ensure smooth coordination of activities.
How do I enrol for NIN?
How to Apply for NIN: NIN Enrolment consists of the recording of an individual’s demographic data and capture of the ten (10) fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture and digital signature, which are all used to cross-check existing data in the National Identity Database to confirm that there is no previous entry of the same data.
It is very important that you apply on the NIMC Pre Enrolment Portal and follow the process as defined for applying for National Identification Number.
Please note that applicants in requirement of assistance with Enrolment Form have an option to visit the Enrolment Centre where they will be assisted by a Support Officer in correctly filling the Enrolment Form with the required information.
Walk into the nearest NIMC Enrolment Centre with your BVN if you have one and any of the following required Original and Valid supporting documents:
- Old National ID Card
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of Origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID Card (private/public)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Valid immigration documents
Fill up the pre-enrolment form online, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip
- Fill the NIMC Pre Enrolment online form by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal
- All the mandatory fields need to be completely filled with correct information.
- Download and print your Pre Enrolment Slip
Submit Your Application
- Walk into the nearest NIMC Registration Centre with any one of the following Original and Valid supporting documents.
- At Enrolment Center you will be directed to a counter where our Enrolment Officer will verify the presence and compliance of all details of your application.
- If your application is in order, Enrolment officer will guide you to proceed with the capture of biometrics (ten finger prints and facial image) and you will collect the Transaction ID Slip as an evidence of the transaction.
- Applicants who cannot read nor write should be accompanied by a literate individual who can do the form filling for him/her.
- Minor applicants should be accompanied by parents / guardians can do the form filling for them.
- Minor applicants should only bring original and valid birth certificate and NIN slip of one of the Nigerian Parent / Guardian.
- The normal time frame for issuance of National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is 2 to 3 working days from the time the biometric details are captured at enrolment centers.
- The issuance of NIN may take longer in certain cases due to validation of details at NIMC. VFS has no role to play to expedite for such cases.
- The Transaction ID Slip is required to be stored carefully by applicant as it is required to be presented at the time of collection of NIN Slip indicating completion of enrolment
If you have any questions concerning How to Apply for NIN, please feel free to use the comment box below and ask us your question. We will be very pleased to answer you.
You can share this information, with your family and friends, as it will be helpful to someone. Please share it on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. Use the buttons below to do this.