Home EDUCATION How to Retrieve Lost/Damage Matric Certificate

How to Retrieve Lost/Damage Matric Certificate


How to Retrieve Lost/Damage Matric Certificate: Is your original high school diploma damaged or lost? Well, stop worrying since there is a fix for your issue. Even if it costs money to replace it, it is ultimately well worthwhile.

Retrieve Lost/Damage Matric Certificate

You may apply for a replacement at the Department of Basic Education [DBE] or Provincial Education Department [PED] by simply completing the Replacement application form.

DBE says you can ask for a statement of results whilst waiting for the issuance of your certificate. Still, if you’re unhappy because of the damage to the certificate, you can return it to the DBE or PED offices.

How to Retrieve Lost/Damage Matric Certificate

The following is exactly what the education department requires applicants to do as part of the certificate replacement process:

Documentation Needed

  • Certified copies of the candidate’s old and new Identity Documents
  • A detailed sworn statement (affidavit) by the candidate
  • The original certificate
  • A letter from the Department of Home Affairs confirming that it has, on behalf of the person in question, acted in terms of Section 27(A) of the Births and Death Registration Act, 1992, and that it has altered the sex description (and the names) of that person
  • Application form obtainable from the DBE/PED.

How to Apply for Replacement of Matric Results

  1. Pay the prescribed fee by postal order at the Post Office, cash at DBE/PED office or by cheque.
  2. Go to the nearest DBE/PED offices with the following documents:
    • your original national/ senior certificate and a certified copy
    • Identity document (ID) and a certified copy of your ID
    • an affidavit stating the reasons for alteration (detailed one)
    • confirmation letter from the Department of Home Affairs
    • Birth certificate. If you don’t have a birth certificate you must bring a clinic card, baptismal certificate, or school report that states your name and date of birth.

Alternatively you can download the form, fill it and post it with the attached documents, including the postal order or cheque, to: Private Bag X895, Pretoria, 0001.

How long does it take to Retrieve Matric Certificate?

It takes between four to six weeks for a Replacement certificate to be issued (for records on the system). You can obtain your statement of results immediately.

For records not on the system, it will take longer as records need to be retrieved from the archives and loaded on the system.

How much does it cost?

  • Re-issue certificate (Administrative errors): R153
  • Statement of results: R55

If you have any question concerning Retrieve Lost/Damage Matric Certificate, please feel free to use the comment box below and ask us your question. We will be very pleased to answer you.

You can share this information, to your family and friends, as it will be helpful to someone. Please share it on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. Use the buttons below to do this


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here