WAEC Syllabus For Civic Education | www.waeconline.org.ng.
WAEC Syllabus For Civic Education: Below is the list of WAEC Civic Education Syllabus, this syllabus helps a student for an area of study in preparation for upcoming exams, www.waeconline.org.ng.
WAEC Syllabus For Civic Education
The management of the West Africa Examination Council (WAEC) has publish it’s syllabus which consist of the Subject, Topics, Note and Recommended Textbooks for exams preparation, below is the Waec Civic Education syllabus for 2023/2024.
Recommended: Jamb Government Syllabus
AIM OF THE SYLLABUS: WAEC Syllabus For Civic Education.
This syllabus aims at assessing the candidate’s ability to
1. understand the importance of citizenship in the society;
2. explain the structure, functions, and responsibilities of government to the people;
3. know emerging issues in society;
4. understand the rights, duties and obligations of citizens to government and society;
5. appreciate democratic values and strive to uphold them.
There will be two papers, Paper 1 and Paper 2; both of which will be in a composite paper and will be taken at one sitting.
Paper 1: This will be a 1-hour multiple-choice test consisting of fifty questions drawn from the entire syllabus and will carry 40 marks.
Paper 2: This paper will be a 2- hour essay type test consisting of three sections: Sections A, B, C. Each section shall contain three questions. Candidates will be required to answer four questions choosing at least one from each Section. The paper will carry 60 marks.
The sections shall cover the following areas of the syllabus:
Section A: National ethics, discipline, rights and obligation
Section B: Emerging Issues in the society
Section C: Governmental system and processes
NATIONAL ETHICS, DISCIPLINE, RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
1) definition, 2) types, 3) importance of values to the society.
2 Citizenship and Nationalism
1) meaning of citizenship; 2) meaning of citizenship education; 3) goals of citizenship education; 4) duties and obligations of citizens; 5) meaning of nationalism; 6) ways of promoting national consciousness, integrity and unity in the society; 7) the nationalistic roles of individual and groups; 8) identification of local and world civic problems.
3 Human Rights
1) meaning of human rights; 2) categories of human rights; 3) characteristics of human rights; 4) meaning and historical background of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR); 5) meaning and identification of the seven core freedoms of UDHR; 6) importance of UDHR; 7) roles of individual, groups and government in UDHR; 8) limitations to the exercise of human rights.
4 Law and Order
1) definition of Law and Order; 2) the features of Law and Order; 3) the importance of Law and Order in the society; 4) meaning of constituted authority; 5) types of constituted authority: 6) importance and roles of constituted authority.
5 Responsible Parenthood
1) meaning of responsible parenthood; 2) roles of responsible parents; 3) importance of responsible parenthood in national development.
6 Traffic Regulations
1) meaning of traffic regulations; 2) traffic regulation and its importance in the society; 3) the roles of the individual and government in maintaining traffic regulations.
7 Inter- Personal Relationships 1) meaning of inter-personal relationships; 2) types of interpersonal relationships; 3) skills that promotes interpersonal relationships; 4) meaning of inter communal relationships; 5) importance of inter communal relationships; 6) meaning of inter-communal conflicts. 7) skills for resolving inter-communal conflicts.
SECTION B: EMERGING ISSUES IN THE SOCIETY
1) meaning and origin of cultism; 2) different cult groups in Nigeria and their symbols; 3) reasons for cultism; 4) consequences of cultism; 5) ways of preventing cultism in the society.
9 Drugs and Drug Abuse
1) meaning of drug abuse; 2) drugs that can be abused; 3) how drugs are abused: 4) symptoms of drug abuse; 5) behaviors of drug addicts; 6) ways of preventing drug abuse; 7) government agencies working to prevent drug abuse/trafficking and their activities; 8) laws against drug abuse.
10 Human Trafficking
1) meaning of human trafficking; 2) causes of human trafficking; 3) effects and consequences of human trafficking; 4) efforts of government and individuals in stopping human trafficking.
1) meaning of HIV/AIDS; 2) causes of HIV/AIDS; 3) symptoms and effects of HIV/AIDS; 4) prevention of HIV/AIDS; 5) stigmatization of people living with HIV/AIDS.
12 Youth Empowerment
1) meaning of youth empowerment; 2) youth empowerment skills; 3) importance and benefits of youth empowerment skills. 4) efforts of government towards youth empowerment.
SECTION C: GOVERNMENTAL SYSTEM AND PROCESSES
13 Structure and Functions of Government
1) meaning of government; 2) structure/tiers of government; 3) functions of government.
14 Democracy, Rule of Law and National Development
1) meaning, types, and features of democracy; 2) importance of democracy; 3) pillars of democracy; 4) problems of democracy; 5) meaning of rule of law; 6) features of rule of law; 7) importance of rule of law; 8) problems of rule of law; 9) meaning of national development; 10) how democracy and Rule of law promote national development- good governance, employment creation and poverty alleviation etc.
15 Political Apathy
1) meaning of political apathy; 2) causes of political apathy; 3) consequences of political apathy; 4) why leaders fail to protect the interests of their followers;
5) how leaders can protect the interests of their followers;
6) ways of discouraging political apathy.
16 Civil Society and Popular Participation
1) meaning of popular participation; 2) types of popular participation; 3) the need for popular participation in the society; 4) traditional and modern modes of popular participation; 5) achieving popular participation in politics; 6) meaning of civil society; 7) functions / need for civil society; 8) qualities / characteristics of civil society; i.e. accountability, fairness, justice, equity etc. 9) problems of civil society; i.e. bribery and corruption, inadequate funding, over bearing influence of foreign donors etc.
17 Public Service in Democracy
1) meaning of public service; 2) functions of public service; 3) problems of public service; 4) reasons for the shortcomings in the public service; 5) ways of improving the public service.
WAEC Syllabus For Civic Education | Suggested Reading List
Politics and Administration in Nigeria. Ibadan: Spectrum Books Ltd, 1986. by ADAMOLEKUN, L.
Principles and Practice of Public Administration in Nigeria. Ibadan: Spectrum Books Ltd, 2000. by ADEBAYO, A.
Elements of Politics. Lagos: Sam Iroanusi Publications, 1999 by ANIFOWOSE, R. & F. ENEMUO (eds)
The Substance of Politics, Eleventh Edition. Madras: Oxford University Press, 1975. by BANJI, K.
1999 Constitution of Federal Republic of Nigeria as Amended. Abuja: Federal Government Press, 2011. by FGN
Rage for Change, a Guide for Young Nigerians who Desire to Make a Difference. Lagos: Leap Africa, 2008. by LEAP AFRICA
Milestone Comprehensive Civic Education for Senior Secondary Schools, Books 1 & 2. Owerri: Milestone Publishers Limited, 2012. by MENEKE, O.A. and NWEBO, I.
Citizenship Education and Nigerian Culture. Lagos: T-Excel Publishers, 2000. by NWAUBANI, O.O.
Reading on Campus Secret Acts. Ile-ife: O.A.U Press Ltd, 1997. by OGUNBAMERUN, O.A.
Reading on Campus Secret Acts. Ile-ife: O.A.U Press Ltd, 1997. by OKUNLOYE, R.W., et al
Reading on Campus Secret Acts. Ile-ife: O.A.U Press Ltd, 1997. by OLURODE, L. & O. SOYOMBO (eds)
Straight-Gate Civic Education for Senior Secondary Schools, Books 1 & 2. Ibadan: Straight-Gate Publishers Ltd, 2012. Government For Senior Secondary Schools. Lagos: Longman Nig Ltd, 1990. by ONI, E.O., et al
Introduction to Political Science. Ibadan: Oyediran Consults International, 1998. by OYEDIRAN, O., et al.
HIV/AIDS: Hope in the Midst of Despair. Lagos: Megarona (West Africa) Ltd, 2005. by OYEDIRAN, O.
Basic Civic Education for Senior Secondary Schools, SS 2. Owerri: Maybiks Nigeria Publisher. by TANYA, R.H.
Basic Civic Education for Senior Secondary Schools, SS 2. Owerri: Maybiks Nigeria Publisher. by UKEGBU, M.N., et al.
Human Right: the International Bill of Human Rights. New York: United Nations Organization, 1993
Reading on Campus Secret Acts. Ile-ife: O.A.U Press Ltd, 1997. by UNO
Civic Education for Senior Secondary, Books 1, 2 & 3, UBE Edition. Lagos: Learn Africa PLC, 2011.
Readings in Campus Violence. Lagos: John West Publications Ltd, 2004.APPADORAI A.
If you have any question concerning WAEC Syllabus For Civic Education, please feel free to use the comment box below and ask us your question. We will be very pleased to answer you.
You can share this information, to your family and friends, as it will be helpful to someone. Please share it on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. Use the buttons below to do this.