What is a Graduate Student: An individual who possesses a bachelor’s degree and is seeking further education in a particular field is said to be a graduate student. For all the information, keep reading.
An individual enrolled at a university or college and working for a graduate degree, such as a master’s or PhD, is said to be a graduate student.
One who has earned an undergraduate degree, such as a bachelor’s, and is thus qualified to enroll in graduate school is referred to as a graduate student.
What Does it Mean to be a Graduate Student?
A graduate student is one who has completed and earned an undergraduate degree in any discipline. It takes a minimum of three to four years educational training in the college or university for one to be a graduate student.
After completing or earning a bachelor’s degree, he or she enrolls for a post-graduate studies for additional degree certificates.
However, a graduate student is a scholar who has been admitted and enrolled at a university or degree awarding institution on full-time or part time basis to pursue graduate studies.
Types of Graduate Degrees
More than 1,000 U.S. colleges and universities offer programs leading to a graduate degree in a wide range of fields.
The two main graduate degrees in the United States are the master’s degree and the doctoral degree.
Both degrees involve a combination of research and coursework. Graduate education is characterized by in-depth training and specialized instruction.
Study and learning are more self-directed at the graduate level than at the undergraduate level.
- How to Change Amazon Language
- Reason Why You Should Consult An Accident Attorney
- Top 10 Tips for Finding the Right Injury Lawyer
- How Long Do Antibiotics Take to Work
- How to Change Amazon Language
Examples of Graduate Degrees
Here are the main graduate degrees in America:
These are some of the features of Master’s degree. Master’s degree:
‣ Provides education and training in a specialized branch or field.
‣ May be academic, e.g. master of arts (MA) or master of science (MS)} or professional, e.g. master of business administration (MBA), master of fine arts (MFA), master of social work (MSW), or master of education (MEd)
‣ Programs may offer a thesis or non-thesis option.
‣ Generally requires one to three years of additional study beyond a bachelor’s degree.
These are the features of Doctoral degree. They:
‣ Prepares students for college faculty and research scholar positions, or for other careers that require advanced knowledge and research skills.
‣ May be academic, e.g., doctor of philosophy (PhD) or professional, e.g., doctor of education (EdD), or doctor of business administration (DBA).
‣ Requires that candidates pass a comprehensive examination and complete original research leading to a dissertation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about graduate students:
What does Graduate Student Mean?
Graduate student means a student who has completed a bachelor’s degree program.
What is a Graduate Student VS an Undergraduate?
A graduate student is a student who’s pursuing an advanced degree after having earned their undergraduate degree, while an undergraduate is a student who is currently studying for a bachelor’s degree.
Conclusion and Call-to-Action
In the United States, professional degree programs leading to licensure in specialized fields such as law or medicine are also available.
A bachelor’s degree in a specific field is not required for most programs; however, some programs do require prerequisite coursework.
A student entering medical school, for example, may have a bachelor’s degree in philosophy but will also have completed a significant number of prerequisite courses in biological sciences, chemistry, mathematics, and social sciences.
If you have any questions concerning What is a Graduate Student?, please feel free to use the comment box below and ask us your question. We will be very pleased to answer you.
You can share this information, with your family and friends, as it will be helpful to someone. Please share it on Twitter, Facebook, G+, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. Use the buttons below to do this.